Honey, walnut and rosemary shortbread? Oh yes, we are taking out the traditional shortbread and upping it up a notch.
I have to say that I have the biggest soft spot for shortbread, preferring the handmade sort to any store bought variety. Maybe I’m just a shortbread snob? Its really all about the texture for me and I find the store bought kind… well kinda on the hard side. When you take homemade shortbread and add some interesting flavours to the mix I’m all in. I think that why adding sweet honey, crunchy walnuts and herby rosemary might just make this shortbread a winner.
Want something even a little more different? Try omitting some or all of the coconut sugar and adding a sharp cheddar. We all know honey pairs well with a good strong cheese am I right? I could see this savoury shortbread as the perfect accompaniment to a hearty stew.
Vegan? Be sure to check out these gorgeous floral shortbread cookies by Sophie.Print
This is a sweet and savoury take on the classic cookie combining floral honey and herby rosemary.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp honey plus more for drizzling
- 2 cups flour (I used a spelt/ rye blend, but regular flour will work fine)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup roasted walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 325°
- In an electric mixer beat the butter and coconut sugar until creamy. Add the honey, flour, coconut flour, rosemary and chopped walnuts. Beat until mixture comes together and forms a soft dough.
- Lightly grease and flour a fluted pie pan or any pan of your choosing. Spread the dough down and flatten with your hands until you get an even smooth surface. Prick all all over with a fork or even make an interesting design.
- Cook for 25 min or until edges are golden.
- Let cool. Finish off with a drizzle of honey.
- Will store in an airtight container for 2 weeks.
This is the type of shortbread where you could omit the coconut sugar for some sharp cheese and turn it into more of a savoury (dinner time) shortbread.