Hand pie season has arrived! The markets are slowly but surely filling up with beautiful fresh fruit and that means we want come up with as many ways to eat it while it lasts. With everything from preserves to pies on our minds, we’re currently crushing on these Strawberry Hand Pies with Mascarpone and Lime. With a full-fat all-butter dough, sweet strawberries, creamy mascarpone cheese, and a tangy note of lime Strawberry Hand Pies take a little time but they’re totally worth it!
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into small cubes, chilled
- ¼ to ½ cup ice water
- 1 ½ cups strawberries, quartered
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, divided
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 ¼ cups Mascarpone cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Mix flour and salt in a large bowl. Add chilled butter and blend using a pastry blender, food processor, or a couple of forks until the mixture resembles a coarse meal - work fast to keep the butter cold! Add ice water by the tablespoon and work the mix until it starts to come together as a soft dough. Gather dough together quickly with your hands, divide it in half, shape each half into a disk, and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge two hours up to overnight.
- While your dough is chilling place strawberries, lime juice, lime zest, sugar, and ½ teaspoon vanilla in a heavy pot over medium heat. Simmer until strawberries release their juice and are soft, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Mix the mascarpone cheese, egg, remaining ½ teaspoon of vanilla, and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove chilled dough disks from fridge, and roll ⅛ to ¼-inch thick. Cut small circles with a round cookie cutter or a knife remembering you need two dough circles per pie. Divide the dough circles into two groups and cut steam vents on the circles that will go on the tops of the hand pies (we used a piping tip to cut our steam vent circles).
- Lay out the bottom dough circles on a work surface. Spoon or pipe a teaspoon or so of mascarpone filling on each circle then top with the same amount of strawberry filling. It is important that you don’t add too much filling (about the size of a walnut) and keep the fillings in the center of the dough or else your pie may not close.
- Brush the exposed edges of dough around the filling with lightly beaten egg. Place a dough circle with steam vents on top and seal the edges gently gently with a fork. Repeat for all remaining dough circles and place on prepared baking sheets.
- Place assembled hand pies on the parchment-lined tray in the freezer and chill 10 to 20 minutes. Remove hand pies from freezer, brush the top of each with remaining beaten egg, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool before eating as filling will be extremely hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 388mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
This is an approximation of the nutrition offered in this recipe, and is created using a nutrition calculator.
This Strawberry Hand Pies With Mascarpone And Lime post was originally published by Gabriel Carbrea of Artful Desperado on May 7, 2015 and was updated on May 17, 2019.