These four ingredient vegan shortbread cookies are topped with edible flowers for a beautiful floral touch that’s surprisingly simple to do. Try these simple cookies with flowers from your garden or the market this summer!
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup natural cane sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flower
- Edible flowers
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar and vegan butter together with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth.
- Slowly add the pastry flour 1/4 cup at a time, mixing until just combined (you may want to use your hands to help it come together at the end).
- Take the dough and flatten it into a disk. Wrap with cling film and chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
- After chilling, roll the cookie dough on a lightly floured surface to just over 1/2 cm (1/4 inch) thick. Cut desired shapes (I used a 6 1/2 cm round). Garnish each cookie with flowers and/or edible herbs. When all the cookies are decorated, lightly roll the rolling pin over the dough to make sure all the flowers are adhering to the cookies. Chill the cookies for another 30 minutes.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F). Bake the cookies on a parchment lined tray for 8-12 minutes, depending on size, or until lightly golden. Let them cool on the cookie tray for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool fully.
Keywords: vegan shortbread