This eggless bread pudding recipe using tea as an ingredient is a riff on my best friend’s mom’s amazing bread pudding recipe. A bakery near my house makes fabulous country sourdough and I had wild blueberries in my freezer but you can use any berries or fruit that you like. I used Robert Wemischner’s method of infusing butter with tea and I chose a tea flavour, in this case pomegranate lavender green tea, that I thought would compliment the blueberries nicely. It turned out to be one of my favourite things I’ve ever made.
Something to keep in mind when making this recipe – I steeped ½ cup of loose tea in 1 cup of melted butter to get approximately ¾ cups of melted butter. So, I lost ¼ cup of butter because I couldn’t press it all out of the tea leaves, but it was SO WORTH IT.
For more information about baking with tea visit our Tutorial Tuesday post about 5 Easy Ways To Bake With Tea, or, fall down Robert Wemischner‘s rabbit hole of tea infused food recipes, including a massive compendium of all things cooking and baking with tea, here.
- 4 cups torn, bite-sized pieces sourdough bread
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup loose tea, flavour of your choice
- 2 cups berries, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Generously butter an oven-safe casserole dish (9-inch round, 8-inch square, or even 9x13 will work).
- In a large bowl toss bread and sugar. Set aside.
- Heat butter and tea in a small pot to a gentle boil. Remove from heat and cool 5-10 minutes.
- Strain tea from butter with a fine-mesh strainer. You should be left with approximately 3/4 cup of melted butter. Add butter to bread and toss well to coat. Set aside.
- Mix berries, lemon juice, and brown sugar. Spoon 1/3 of the berries into the bottom of the prepared dish. Top with 1/2 of the bread. Add 1/3 of berries and top with the remaining bread. Finish with the final 1/3 of berries.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until bread is lightly browned and berries are bubbly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 61mg Sodium: 238mg Carbohydrates: 37g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 31g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g