If I could only make one type of dessert until the end of time, my choice might be to make tarts. I love to make cakes and pies, but there is just something about an elaborate looking (but simple in execution) tart that always makes me gravitate towards it. It might be its buttery and sandy crust or it might be the endless possibilities for the tart’s filling. I love going to the farmers market and filling it with the freshest in-season fruits. The possibilities for the tart’s filling are endless, but it doesn’t mean you can’t fill it with something simple like a sweetened whipped cream or a vanilla-flecked custard; sometimes simple is best. No multiple layers of sponge. No batter that requires more than two bowls to make.
A decadent dark chocolate ganache fills this tart. And this tart, with just the ganache, is perfect as is. Though you could add a generous sprinkle of flaked sea salt to really bring out the flavours. For this version of the dark chocolate ganache tart, I added toasted hazelnuts at the bottom for additional texture and nuttiness. A crescent of strawberries and chocolate truffles take it to the next level. Not sure how you want to decorate your tart? Check out our recent Tutorial Tuesday for a tart decorating 101!
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 ounces milk chocolate
- 7 ounces dark chocolate
- ¼ teaspoon instant espresso powder
For the tart shell
- Beat the butter and powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer until creamy.
- Beat in the egg yolk and mix until fully combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in the salt and flour just until the dough comes together and there is no more visible flour. Careful not to overmix.
- Remove dough from the bowl and press the dough into the tart pan, making sure it is evenly distributed.
- Using a fork, prick the bottom of the tart shell to prevent the bottom from puffing up when baking.
- Wrap the pan loosely in plastic and chill 30 minutes.
- Bake the tart shell at 375F until the crust is golden brown (approximately 15 minutes). Remove carefully from oven and let rest on a wire rack. Let cool completely before filling with filling.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Place the chocolate in a heat-safe bowl and set aside.
- Place the cream and butter in a saucepan over medium heat and slowly bring to a simmer.
- Once hot, pour the cream mixture over the chocolate.
- Let mixture stand for one minute, then whisk to combine.
- Spread hazelnuts evenly on cooked tart shell filling.
- Pour the ganache filling into the cooled tart shell.
- Allow to set at room temperature for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Decorate with fresh berries before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 456Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 132mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 18gProtein: 6g
This is an approximation of the nutrition offered in this recipe, and is created using a nutrition calculator.