Buttermilk Raspberry Muffins are moist and sweetened with brown sugar making them a great option for breakfast or snack time.
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 3/4 cup whole spelt flour (or flour of choice)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1/2 cup nuts or chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and line a muffin tin with paper baking cups.
- Combine oil, brown sugar, applesauce, eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk in a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl combine flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Add raspberries (and chocolate or nuts if using) and stir again until just until combined.
- Bake muffins for 30 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool on rack. Serve or freeze. Muffins will keep at room temperature, stored in an airtight container, for up to three days.