Brown Butter Sesame Cookies
This brown butter sesame cookie recipe is basically everything I want, and hopefully you want, in a cookie recipe.
Salty and sweet.
Crispy on the edges and chewy in the center.
Rich yet light.
And did I mention easy to make?
Butter Makes Everything Better
When you allow butter to melt to the point where it turns a deep rich amber hue, well, we’re talking next level baby.
As butter browns it will go through several stages of foaming and spitting, but don’t be afraid. Letting it bubble and froth is how you make magic.
Just be sure to use a deep pot.
A simple recipe for cookies made with brown butter, brown sugar, and sesame seeds.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a deep pot cook butter and sesame seeds over medium heat until butter is deep amber in colour –
- if using cold butter and starting with a cold pot, this should take approximately 10-12 minutes. Once butter is brown, remove pot from heat and set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat brown sugar and egg with paddle attachment until creamy, about 1-2 minutes. Add brown butter-sesame mixture and stir with paddle until well combined. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until well combined.
- Pick up a small amount of dough in your hands. The dough will be crumbly so squeeze it gently, back and forth between both hands, until it is soft and malleable. Roll dough into a small ball and place on cookie sheet. Flatten dough with the bottom of an un-floured drinking glass. Repeat.
- Bake cookies on sheets for 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Cool on sheet on rack 10 minutes.
We’d love to know what you think of this brown butter sesame seed cookie recipe. Let us know in the comments and if you try the recipe, let us know by tagging us on instagram at @baked_theblog or using our hashtag #bakedtheblog!