DIY apple pie spice with just 5 ingredients! This version is from Oh She Glows for Dinner and includes cardamom, nutmeg, and all spice.
photography by Sophie MacKenzie
Renowned Canadian author and blogger Angela Liddon has just released her new book and it’s packed with terrific recipes! The book is all about healthy vegan dinner recipes, which is great as we love to get more vegetables in where we can. You can read more about Angela’s book here.
We’re sharing her easy apple pie spice recipe because we think it fits perfectly with the season and can be used in so many ways (more than just pie!). There are so many great recipes in the book, so it was tricky to choose, but we really liked the spice mix section.
You only need five ingredients for this blend. Of course, it’s a great mix to have on hand for pies, but also seasonal recipes like blackberry and apple crisp, German apple sheet cake, candied walnuts, baked oatmeal and more. Keep reading for a list on ways to use it.
Use the JUMP TO RECIPE button at the top, or scroll to the bottom of the post to see the printable recipe card with full ingredient measurements and complete instructions.
- Measuring spoons or digital kitchen scale
- Small whisk or fork
- Small glass jar with tight-fitting lid
All spices listed are ground. Spices left in the back of the pantry for a year or more lose their potency so choose those that are freshly, or recently, opened.
- All Spice
How To Use Apple Pie Spice
- Our Granny Smith apple pie, of course!
- Apple or pear cider, hot toddies, and any warm seasonal drinks.
- To replace cinnamon in apple cinnamon rolls.
- And in these cinnamon sugar cookies!
- … and in puff pastry cinnamon twists (pretty much anywhere you’d use cinnamon)
- Featured in the streusel topping of an apple crumble cake.
- Or in the streusel topping of these sourdough blueberry muffins.
- Try it in this hazelnut granola…
- or as a twist on these snickerdoodles without cream of tartar!
Notes and Substitutions
- Feel free to change the spice quantities based on your preference. We think it’s a great start, with a good balance of each spice, but you might like to tweak it!
- Try packaging apple pie spice in a nice jar as a small gift. It’s especially cute with a small basket of apples with a DIY apple pie recipe! Tie on a cute ribbon, add a small label, and you’re set.
Apple Pie Spice Mix
- Measuring spoons
- 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon ground cardamom, depends on your preference
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground all-spice
- Add all the spices together in a bowl. Mix to combine. Store in a jar for up to 6 months.