DIY apple pie spice with just 5 ingredients! This version is from Oh She Glows for Dinner and includes cardamom, nutmeg, and all spice.
One of our very favourite Canadian authors and bloggers, Angela Liddon, has just released her new book and it’s packed with wonderful recipes! This book is all about healthy vegan dinner recipes and we all love to get more vegetables in. You can read more about the book here.
We’re sharing this easy apple pie spice because we think it fits perfectly with the season and can be used in so many ways (more than just pie). There are so many great ones so it’s tricky to choose, but we really liked the spice mix section of the book.
You need just five ingredients for this blend, and it’s a great one to have on hand for pies, of course, but also seasonal drinks, crisps and cobblers, porridge, and much more. See below for a little list on ways to use it.
Ingredients & Method
- All spice
Just mix it up in a small jar and you’re ready to go! Store in a cool, dark, and dry place.
Add Apple Pie Spice to…
- Our granny smith apple pie, of course!
- Apple or pear cider, hot toddies, and any warm seasonal drinks
- To replace cinnamon in apple cinnamon rolls
- And in these cinnamon sugar cookies!
- … and in puff pastry cinnamon twists (pretty much anywhere you’d use cinnamon)
- Featured in the streusel topping of an apple crumble cake
- Lastly, in apple blackberry crisp
Notes and Substitutions
Change the spice quantities and types based on your preference. We think it’s a great blend with good levels of each spice, but not everyone likes nutmeg or allspice!
Try packaging this up in a nice jar for a small gift – especially cute with a basket of apples as a sort of DIY apple pie set. Tie on a little label and you’re set.
- 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½-3/4 teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground all spice
- Add all the spices together in a bowl. Mix to combine. Store in a jar for up to 6 months.
As some people are sensitive to cardamom, start with ½ teaspoon and add more to taste.
From Oh She Glows for Dinner © 2020, Glo Bakery Corporation. Reprinted by permission of Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 3Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
This is an approximation of the nutrition offered in this recipe, and is created using a nutrition calculator.