Take your morning coffee treat up a notch with these nutritious ultimate breakfast cookies! This recipe is vegan-friendly, gluten free and refined sugar free.
Just because I take a vested interest in my health and I identify as a vegan, doesn’t mean I don’t want to eat cookies for breakfast like everyone else (and pizza for every other meal, duh!). I mean, I put chocolate in these so they might be a bit indulgent for the early am hours, but I’ve never let that stop me before. They really would be appropriate any old time.
These ultimate breakfast cookies are loaded with good-for-you, but also super familiar ingredients. They’re also gluten and refined sugar-free! I find the best vegan cookies have some kind of nut or seed butter as a binding component, so I went in with roasted almond butter for these. Some mashed banana and a teeny bit of maple syrup to sweeten them up. Oats, seeds, dried fruit, and cinnamon make them “breakfast-y.” But again, the chocolate. Just go with it if you can feel it, babes.
If you want more inspiration like this, why not try our pumpkin spice breakfast cookies or our chestnut and dark chocolate chip cookies with pecans.
And if you’re looking for a little more almond butter cookie inspiration, check out these incredible flourless almond butter cookies, these gluten-free almond butter chocolate chip cookies, or these chocolate dipped cashew almond butter cookies with candied sage.
- 1 ¼ cups certified gluten-free rolled oats (not quick cooking)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 small banana)
- ½ cup smooth almond butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 scant cup add-ins of your choice (I did a mix of chocolate chunks, pumpkin seeds + dried blueberries)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the rolled oats, cinnamon, baking soda, sea salt, almond flour, and brown rice flour until combined.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the mashed banana, almond butter, maple syrup, ground flaxseed, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Process on high until you have a smooth mixture.
- Scrape the almond butter mixture into the large bowl with the oats and flours. Throw your add-ins into the bowl as well. Stir the mixture together with a spatula until you have a unified and very stiff cookie dough.
- Drop 2 tablespoons of dough per cookie onto the prepared baking sheet. Flatten each mound of dough with the palm of your hand. Slide the tray into the oven and bake until lightly golden brown, about 15-17 minutes. Cool cookies completely before storing in a airtight container.
You can sub the almond butter for any nut/seed butter you like. Same goes for add-ins and spice. It's a pretty forgiving dough!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 6gSodium: 122mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 4g
This is an approximation of the nutrition offered in this recipe, and is created using a nutrition calculator.