This vibrant pea and pistachio cake is frosted with tangy cream cheese frosting and topped with buttercream roses for a beautiful, naturally green spring cake.
Pea and Pistachio Cake
2 1/4 cups fresh or frozen peas
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsalted pistachios, grounded
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
1 cup whipping cream
275g cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
PEA AND PISTACHIO CAKE
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare three 6-inch cake pans. Set aside.
2. In a medium size pot, boil the peas for a few minutes until soft. Once the peas are soft, drain the peas and run the peas under cold water until they are no longer hot.
3. Transfer peas into a blender. Add buttermilk. Purée mixture until completely smooth. Set aside.
4. Combine flour, ground pistachio, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
5. In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
6. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the cooled pea purée. Add vanilla.
7. Add dry ingredients into the wet mixture and mix until just combined.
8. Divide the mixture evenly into the prepared pans and bake for 25 – 27 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
9. Cool cakes for 15 minutes in the tins and then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
WHIPPED CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
10. Pour whipping cream into bowl of standing mixer. With the whisk attachment whisk the whipping cream until it becomes fluffy and forms stiff peaks. Transfer whipped cream into a different bowl.
11. With a paddle attachment on your mixer, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
12. In the same bowl, gently fold in the whipped cream.
13. Keep whipped cream cheese frosting chilled until ready to use.
The frosting recipe yields enough frosting for covering the cake layers. If you want to add decorative elements like buttercream flowers, whip up your favourite buttercream recipe (I like using American or Swiss Meringue!) to do so.
Keywords: pistachio cake, pea cake, green cake, layer cake