FOR THE LEMON RICOTTA CAKE
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Zest of two lemons
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup and 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup ricotta
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 12 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 – 5 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease three 6-inch cake pans.
FOR THE CAKE:
- In a medium sized bowl, rub together the lemon zest and sugar with your hands, until sugar becomes fragrant. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until mixture becomes light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time and mix until well-combined. Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together.
- In large measuring cup, combine the ricotta and lemon juice.
- Add half the dry ingredients and half of the ingredients in them measuring cup to the butter-sugar mixture. Mix together lightly. Add the remainder of the ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Bake cake for 33 – 35 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow cake layers to cool completely being layering and frosting.
FOR THE FROSTING:
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth. With the mixer on low, mix in the remaining ingredients until just combined. Beat on high until fluffy.