Now that you know the basics to layering and decorating a naked cake, let’s talk about this cake. It is a fluffy lemon ricotta cake (think: your favourite lemon ricotta pancakes but in an extra decadent form) with the perfect amount of silky smooth cream cheese frosting. This ricotta cake recipe is extremely versatile and I have adapted it in many ways based on the season. I made an apple ricotta cake in the fall, a blood orange ricotta cake in the colder winter months, and now that we are in spring, fresh lemon-y flavours are what I am craving. If you’re looking for an everyday cake, you can halve the recipe and bake it in a 9-inch pan — I have done that many times.
The cake itself has a very moist and tender crumb due to the amount of ricotta in the recipe. That being said, the cake layers are still quite sturdy, making it a great cake for layering and a base for a naked cake. Keep the tips from Tutorial Tuesday – Naked Cakes 101 in mind when making this into a naked cake and you will have a spring-themed cake perfect for any springtime celebration.
If you make this, let us know by tagging @baked_theblog + #bakedtheblog on Instagram! We love to feel like we’re in the kitchen with you.
FOR THE LEMON RICOTTA CAKE
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Zest of two lemons
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup and 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup ricotta
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 12 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 - 5 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease three 6-inch cake pans.
FOR THE CAKE:
- In a medium sized bowl, rub together the lemon zest and sugar with your hands, until sugar becomes fragrant. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until mixture becomes light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time and mix until well-combined. Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together.
- In large measuring cup, combine the ricotta and lemon juice.
- Add half the dry ingredients and half of the ingredients in them measuring cup to the butter-sugar mixture. Mix together lightly. Add the remainder of the ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Bake cake for 33 - 35 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow cake layers to cool completely being layering and frosting.
FOR THE FROSTING:
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth. With the mixer on low, mix in the remaining ingredients until just combined. Beat on high until fluffy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 860 Total Fat: 36g Saturated Fat: 21g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 54mg Sodium: 320mg Carbohydrates: 33g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 44g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g