You’d never know that this recipe for Chocolate Cake with Rye and Whole Wheat Flours, topped with Brown Butter Honey Whipped Cream, is kind of healthy(ish).
With maple syrup and honey in place of sugar, and olive oil in place of butter, the chocolate rye cake itself is dark, and rich, and moist.
The brown butter honey whipped cream is an exquisite balance of salty and sweet.
It’s a cake made with ingredients you can feel good about eating.
That you can feel good about your kids eating.
It’s just plain good.
- FOR THE CAKE :
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup rye flour
- ½ cup cocoa
- ½ cup dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup honey
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- FOR THE BROWN BUTTER HONEY WHIPPED CREAM :
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- DIRECTIONS FOR THE CAKE :
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease two 8-inch cake tins with olive oil and sprinkle evenly with whole wheat flour to prevent sticking.
- In a stand mixer, mix whole wheat flour, rye flour, cocoa, chopped dark chocolate, baking powder, baking soda, and salt with paddle attachment until evenly combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, maple syrup, honey, olive oil, and vanilla until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix on medium speed until well combined.
- Divide batter between two prepared 8-inch cake tins and bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick tester comes out clean.
- Place on rack to cool.
- Remove from tins and, with a serrated knife, trim the tops to make them level. Scoop a generous amount of whipped cream onto the top of one cake and smooth. Place second cake on top of first. Smooth whipped cream all over outside of cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- DIRECTIONS FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM :
- Wash and dry stand mixer bowl.
- In a pot or skillet, preferably silver or white so you can see the butter change colour, melt butter over medium heat until foamy and deep caramel in colour, about 5 minutes.
- Pour browned butter into mixing bowl, add honey, vanilla, and salt, and stir to combine.
- Allow butter to cool 5-10 minutes.
- Add heavy whipping cream to brown butter mixture, and, using whisk attachment on high speed, beat cream to stiff peaks, about 5 minutes.
if you make this Chocolate Cake with Rye and Whole Wheat Flours, let us know on Insta by tagging @baked_theblog + #bakedtheblog!