A simple recipe for cookies made with brown butter, brown sugar, and sesame seeds.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a deep pot cook butter and sesame seeds over medium heat until butter is deep amber in colour –
- if using cold butter and starting with a cold pot, this should take approximately 10-12 minutes. Once butter is brown, remove pot from heat and set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat brown sugar and egg with paddle attachment until creamy, about 1-2 minutes. Add brown butter-sesame mixture and stir with paddle until well combined. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until well combined.
- Pick up a small amount of dough in your hands. The dough will be crumbly so squeeze it gently, back and forth between both hands, until it is soft and malleable. Roll dough into a small ball and place on cookie sheet. Flatten dough with the bottom of an un-floured drinking glass. Repeat.
- Bake cookies on sheets for 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Cool on sheet on rack 10 minutes.