The inspiration for this loaf is actually from a muffin shop I use to frequent back in the days when I worked at a mall. The shop brewed some pretty good hazelnut coffee and, to this day, baked up the best cheddar cheese muffins. When I was a child, my mom would always get one of these cheddar muffins on her shopping visits to the mall. And lucky for me, she always shared. I remember her being very smitten with them and apparently I loved them too, because my obsession with buying them carried on much later in life and therefore eventually turned into me trying to replicate them. I think this is the closest I’ve ever come. With mine, you also get a bit of apple. Hence, the apple cheddar loaf cake name. Bonus, in my opinion!
This recipe works perfectly for muffins or loaves and extremely adaptable to adding and changing flavours. I’ve used the base for lemon poppy seed and blueberry oat (subbing out some flour with oats). If you’re not an apple cheddar fan, I welcome you to try your favourite flavour combinations.
If you make this, let us know by tagging @baked_theblog + #bakedtheblog on Instagram! We love to feel like we’re in the kitchen with you.Print
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 Tbsp. coconut oil or butter, softened
- 1 cup cane sugar (regular sugar also works)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded chedder cheese plus extra for topping
- 1 apple diced, plus 3 thin slices for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour a loaf pan or add paper liners to a muffin pan if doing those.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the coconut oil (or butter) and sugar until
- smooth. Beat in the egg until the mixture is light and fluffy; add in
- vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the
- creamed mixture with the milk and add in the cheddar cheese and diced apple.
- Pour into the prepared pan and top with extra cheddar and optional apple slices.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes in the preheated oven or until tooth pick comes up clean for muffins or 25-40 minutes for a loaf cake.
- Cool on a wire rack